The Life of a J-School Student

Four years ago when I first step foot at the College of Journalism during my preview session, I would not expect to learn what I have. I owe so much of knowledge to the J-School. The resources that have been provided to me have helped me in route to my college degree and future. That being said, I would like to highlight some of the things I found most helpful from the College of Journalism:
This photo I took to during one of the Noticias live shows.


1. Noticias WUFT
I first became a part of Noticias WUFT during Spring 2019. The program had started a few semesters before and the class was quite small, but the passion was inevitably noticeable. Our professor, Dania Alexandrino has taught me how to be a bilingual multimedia journalist and a very short time. Under her wing, I've learned to produce my own live show and become a better MMJ reporter. I have also improved in my Spanish. One other thing is this class has opened the doors for me through networking. I was one of eight students selected to be part of the Telemundo Academy. Through this experience, I've been able to network with different news station managers from all over the country. They have also provided workshops with their expertise on how to be successful in the broadcasting world. These are just some of the outside classroom teachings I've learned from Noticias. Not to mention, this program helped me make a family away from home. All of the students involved really care for the success of one another, and we've helped each other be the reporters we are today.

This photo was taken of me during one of my anchoring shifts for First at Five. 


2. WUFT News 
 I have learned a lot through WUFT News. I first started getting involved during Spring 2017, my freshman year spring. My first order of business was producing for the NPR affiliate All Things Considered, which was my first live experience. Moving through radio I slowly starting making my way through television with doing News in 90, where I would produced a 90 second segment about the top three stories of the day. I auditioned a few times and made my way into the live show -- First at Five. I first started doing special segments. For example, I anchored for the education and politics beat for two semesters. After that, I auditioned and was selected to be the main anchor for two of my semesters. I have greatly improved the way I present myself on-air all thanks to First at Five.

This is a photo I took as my time being production crew for First at Five.


3. Basic 5
One of things I am very grateful for, is that I was able to learn from immersion experiences. These are classes that are hands on experiences with real professionals. During my freshman year I took Basic 5. This course helped me learn things through the aspect of the production crew. I learned how to use newsroom cameras, be a floor manager, how to you the soundboard and how to direct my own proper show.

4. Beyond the Swamp
One last thing that really helped me was Beyond the Swamp. This was a class based the class blogging and creating content for the brand's website and social media. In this class we met up each week and discussed different pitches on what we would produce in that week's content. I enjoyed this class because it was the first time I felt like I was doing real life things. The whole point of the class was to prepare us for a work environment one day.
This photo I took during one of the filmings of the Noticias radio show. 


These are just some examples of the many things the College of Journalism provided for me during my four years. Along with the many friendships that I will always cherish, not only from students but also professors, I gained knowledge on what it means to produce newsworthy content. I learned what to do in order to be successful in this business and how to be a credible source for the people I am reporting news. I learned how to storytell, not only using words, but also using video and photos. I learned how to put my stories together by editing. See, the J-School is different. We don't just get exams every other week to see if we know the content we've been learning. We have to put what we've learned into real life experiences and produce projects. By doing this, we learn; this is something I am very grateful for.

Comments

Popular Posts