Karla's Biography

This photo was taken Spring Semester 2020 of WUFT's First at Five Thursday Team.

Some may wonder, who is the woman behind this blog? What are her aspirations? What does she want to do after college.
Back in January I wrote a few things about myself to introduce this blog I made. I gave a basic overview about myself and what I was doing during the last semester of my college.
Well, things have changed unfortunately. I have had to come back home -- Miami -- because of all that's going on with the Coronavirus. Classes have been moved to online things are at a standstill. Now more than ever I've been thinking of my future.
What is it that I want to do after college? I've been looking online for job opportunities and have found myself to be stuck, which scares me. On July 31st, 2020 I will be receiving my diploma, getting a Bachelor in Science of Telecommunications in the News field with a minor in Business Administration.
I know I want to go into the field of entertainment, whether it be an editor, writer or producer that is what I am most interested in. I really enjoy reading and being acknowledged about the entertainment world.
If that does not work out, I also really enjoy the production side of telecommunications. At UF, I volunteered mostly in the INC, which is the School of Journalism's newsroom. My first two years I did a lot of my volunteer work in the production side: being floor manager, creating graphics for the live show, being teleprompter and working with the cameras. The adrenaline of being backstage during the live show was something I loved. But, that does not take away with how I feel being in front of the camera. As a reporter and anchor, I loved that I was able to tell other people's stories and also inform our audience with what was going on in our little town. One thing I miss now about not being able to be on campus is anchoring for the WUFT's live show.
One thing I know is that I love telecommunications and being able to do different things with that degree. This past February, I went to a digital media workshop and learned a lot about telecommunications in that field. After that weekend, I loved that side of telecommunications. Creating digital content is something that I am not interested in pursuing.

Here's a little snippet of what I produced during the digital media workshop.

As I mentioned before, I am now looking for jobs. Location wise, I am around the eastern side of the country... mostly in the north. I am hopeful that I will find something I love to do. One thing is for sure: the University of Florida gave me the best resources to learn what I know today. I am thankful for the experiences that I've gained from this university and I am forever thankful for it.

Comments

  1. I agree with you that UF gave us the best resources and knowledge to take on the real world and the telecommunication industry! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure you will find something you love to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,

    Like you, I am also on the job hunt! I understand how frustrating it can be trying to get calls back during this uncertain time. I hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts