Dancing for the Kids!

One of the best experiences I have had here at the University of Florida is Dance Marathon. It's an event where students at UF stand for 26.2 hours and hope to raise money for the children of our local hospital.


Last year, my journey with Dance Marathon began. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, but I knew what the message behind Dance Marathon was and I wanted to be a part of it.  I am so glad I did.



After last year's event, I was inspired to become more involved with Dance Marathon. I promised myself I would. So this year, I became a delegate for my organization. I also decided to be a second-year dancer. I was a little nervous since I knew what to expect. As the event went on, I found it to be easier than it was my first year. I also felt more connected with the families who spoke at the event about their miracle child's life. I tried to live in the moment and just forget about the outside world.



Now... it's finally the closing ceremonies. The moment I had been waiting for. I stood for 26.2 hours and raised almost $1,700 for the kiddos. Something I would have never believed I could accomplish. When it was time to see how much we had raised as a university, everyone got quiet. We were hoping to pass the $2.7 million that we had raised last year...



Incredibly, we did! When those final numbers came up, nothing but tears of joy were on everyone's faces. In that moment, I felt so proud to call myself a gator. Below, I attached a little glimpse of what I experienced at this year's Dance Marathon.
         
           

Dance Marathon is an event that I cannot really describe. It's an event where when you are there, you feel the love and hope everyone has. So if you're a University of Florida student, this is something I definitely recommend experiencing at least once during your four years here.

Comments

Popular Posts